An estimated 68 pounds of clothing are thrown away by the average American family every year, and 99% of what is thrown away can easily be recycled. Imagine how many families in need could have been helped by that amount of clothing. This is where charitable donations come into play.
There are many charities that accept all kinds of donations throughout the United States. One can choose from larger, national charities such as Goodwill or the American Red Cross, or people can opt for donating to their favorite local charity or shelter. Just be sure that before a donation is made that guidelines are followed and they accept the items you want to part from.
What is usually accepted: If you would rather make charitable donations to a national foundation, the following items are normally accepted.
- Cars: Places such as Goodwill are now accepting vehicle donations in all types of conditions. There is a thorough document one must fill out in order to make the donation. Just be sure to clean the car out of any personal belongings and garbage!
- Electronics: Personal electronics such as computers and laptops are often part of charity donations. Hard drives, monitors, keyboards, and printers are all generously accepted. One can either schedule a donation pick up at their house or drop it off at the nearest location.
- Clothing: Clothing donations are one of the most popular forms of charitable donations. An estimated 80% of donated clothing in the country is used by various organizations who had these out to the needy, and for funding purposes. Just be sure to wash all garments before dropping them off.
- Accessories: More accessories are thrown away that one might imagine. Before tossing that gently used purse or scarf in the garbage, check to see which charities accept these types of items. Accessories can be anything from jewelry, to hats, gloves, and scarves.
- Furniture: Moving any time soon or having an estate sale? If Craigslist.com is too much of a hassle, call your local Goodwill or American Red Cross branch and schedule a furniture donation pick up. These charities will send a truck over, along with movers, and will load the furniture right from your home. They usually take tables, chairs, sofas, and bed frames.
Unfortunately, charities cannot take fragrances, shampoos, household cleaners, and larger appliances such as refrigerators and ovens. Don’t hesitate to call in to your local charity branch if there are any other questions about what types of items they will accept.