If you are looking to move, you are certainly not alone. Every year, almost 36 million people move in the United States every year. Of the people who move, 9.8% stay in the same state. Nearly 15% of movers say the change was to get a better apartment. The typical American will move at least 12 time over the course of their lifetime. Here are some tips to looking at rental spaces and picking the right one.
- Talk to the people you know. It is always great when you can get a personal referral for any kinds of good or services. Tell your friends, relatives and coworkers that you are looking for a new place to live and someone will know of something or will know of someone who does. This does not mean you will have to go with their suggestions but it will get you started with a list of rental spaces to look at.
- Loot at your finances and set your budget. Once you know how much you have to spend, you will narrow down your choices but also get a better sense of where you stand. When you look online, you can search only for rental spaces that are in your price range. Remember that the rent is only one part of the cost. You will also have utilities, the internet and other expenses that accompany housing rentals.
- Know what you want. Do you have pets? Do you need off street parking? What about having laundry facilities in the unit? Do you need to be near public transportation? Knowing what you want from the rental apartments will make it a lot easier to get that. Make a list of your priorities and if you go to a realtor, share those with them. When you do a search online, you can search by certain apartment amenities. You will never be happy with your rental apartment or house if you do not even look for the amenities that matter to you.
- Search more often than you think you need to. If you are using a service like Craigslist, you should know that people add new listings all of the time to the site. You may look early in the day and not find anything but later in the day, there may be a listing that is perfect for you. Check these sites and those of realtors often. It does not take a lot of time to scan listings and see if there are any that are new.
- Walk around the area where you want to live. Are you looking at rental spaces in the town or city where you currently live? Is there a neighborhood that you have always loved? How about an apartment complex that you think looks like a great place to live? Walk around that part of town and take note of any rental spaces that may be available. You may find places that you cannot find any other way.
- Check out new neighborhoods at different times of the day. If you are not familiar with the area where you are looking to live, check it out at night and on the weekend. You may find that the quaint neighborhood is not so quaint at night. It is important to get a sense of what it is like to live in an area before you commit to living there.
- Talk to a professional. If you are in a hurry or do not have a lot of time, you may want to talk to a realtor who can help find you the space that you need. When you talk to your friends and your relatives about rental spaces in the area, ask if they know any realtors who are good. It can be challenging to find the right spot but realtors know the market better than anyone and can be a great resource.
There are many benefits to living in a rental unit. You have someone to help you when there is a problem, for instance. Finding the right apartment or house to rent can seem like a daunting task but if you do some research and look around you will be able to find the right space.